Career Path : LANDSCAPE MAINTENANCE 1
The "Landscape Maintenance 1" worker must know and gain proficiency in performing regular tasks of landscape maintenance, minor irrigation repair, and demonstrate the ability to work within the quality and performance guidelines as established by the company.
- Fulfill all requirements of the "Landscape Maintenance Novice" position.
- Maintain physical fitness level necessary to complete assigned job tasks.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures.
- Ability to sharpen cutting tools.
- Ability to apply granular fertilizers after proper training under supervision of "Landscape Maintenance Foreperson".
- Familiar with company manual and policies contained and set forth, include safety guidelines/standards.
- Use assigned tools and equipment in proper/safe manner.
- Load and unload work trucks and trailers.
- Continuing education - minimum 12/hr/year (8 hrs of "in house" training, 4 hr of outside sources).
- Identify broken, poorly running, and misused equipment, fill out appropriate repair tag.
- Become proficient in the use of following tools and equipment; post pounder, pole pruner, ladder, wheel grinder and file, large walk-behind mowers (36", and 48"), and belly and push spreaders.
- Able to identify by common names 25 frequently used plants that appear on the CLT plant list (bedding flowers, ground cover, shrubs, perennials, trees, and turf.)
- Prune trees, shrubs, and vines to encourage healthy growth.
- Apply granular fertilizers under the supervision of maintenance foreman.
- Stake and tie trees and shrubs.
- Guy wiring of trees.
- Attach vines and espaliers to support trellises using appropriate materials.
- Understand and complete the following basic irrigation repairs; sprinkler head replacement, sprinkler head arc and radius adjustment, lateral line repairs.
- Able to identify by common name 5 frequently seen weeds in planting beds. (Spotted Spurge, Wild morning Glory, Groundsel, Flaree, Wild Portulaca, Knotweed)
- Able to differentiate weed grasses from desirable turf grasses in law areas. (Crabgrass, Johnson Grass, Nutgrass, Bermudagrass, Annual Bluegrass, Dallis Grass)
- Identify general needs of plants. (water, light, carbon dioxide, fertilizer)
- Recognize plant material in stress or in a problem state.
- Able to identify by common name 5 frequently seen garden pests. (aphid, snail, slug, whitefly, mealybug, gopher, mole, vole, deer, rabbits)
- Communicate with lead people progress of tasks.
- Able to meet company production rates and standards.
- Proficient and safe use of specified equipment.
- Identify by common name 25 frequently used plants.
- Able to prune shrubs, trees, and groundcover correctly.
- Know basic fertilizer application techniques.
- Know how and when to sharpen cutting tools.
- Identify by common names 5 common weeds.
- Recognize plant and irrigation problems.
- Communicate problems to maintenance foreman.
- Able to stake, prune, and tie vines.
- Able to work as a team member.
- Landscape Maintenance 1 expected to demonstrate proficiency in the above skill areas prior to advancing to the position of Landscape Maintenance 2.
This position reports directly to Landscape Maintenance Foreperson.
back to careers list