Career Path : DESIGNER
The "Designer" must be proficient in managing all aspects of the company's design activities including client contact, site measuring, evaluation of client needs, preliminary budget preparation, estimation and adherence to approved design time constraints, and effective presentation of final design and cost estimates to clients.
- Minimum 2 years experience in landscape design operations for a landscape firm and a 2-year college degree.
- Comply with all company policies/procedures and safety requirements.
- Ability to evaluate prospective clients for suitability.
- Ability to act as intermediary between client and field operations.
- Ability to proactively manage design and financial elements of the landscape design process.
- Ability to communicate directly and honestly WITH project owners and company personnel.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate potential landscape projects in relation to property owner's needs and wishes.
- Ability to properly measure project sites and transfer field measurements to project site plans.
- Ability to produce design/build contracts for owner's signature.
- Ability to use site level and laser transit to establish existing grade elevations.
- Ability read, analyze, and understand topographical site maps.
- Ability to produce planting, irrigation, drainage, and hardscape plans and details.
- Ability to resolve site problems during the installation process.
- Ability to maintain accurate records of client meetings for analysis during the design process.
- Ability TO fill out personal time sheets daily.
- Ability to use word processing and spreadsheet computer programs (MS Word, MS Excel, etc.).
- Possess valid Calif. Drivers License and be insurable by company insurance carriers.
- Continuing education requirement of minimum 16 hrs./year.
- Evaluate and recommend for hire all design personnel.
- Present a professional image to the client by arriving to appointments on time, properly dressed, and attentive to client's needs and wishes.
- Schedule and attend all site meetings with client during design process.
- Prepare and present landscape design contract to client for signature.
- Properly measures all sites for the purposes of initial budgeting, site evaluation, and creation of landscape plan.
- Prepare and/or oversee the preparation of all landscape, irrigation, hardscape, drainage, and detail drawings.
- Meet with client to communicate the progress and direction of landscape design work.
- Prepare and present well organized design presentations.
- Perform "take-offs" of all design projects prior to estimating.
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of initial project budget and final estimates.
- Consult with other professionals and subcontractors in order to properly complete landscape drawings.
- Conduct pre-job site review with project foreman or supervisor.
- Conduct site visits during installation process.
- Source and lay out plants to reflect actual site conditions while maintaining integrity of original design.
- Research, evaluate, recommend, and implement new software and computer hardware purchases to satisfy design needs.
- Manage regular training for design staff.
- Demonstrate proper skills in performing duties.
- Demonstrate proficiency in management of design paperwork.
- Demonstrate ability to communicate clearly and honestly with clients, management team, and field personnel.
- Demonstrate ability to take responsibility for design aspects of company.
- Demonstrate proficiency of job skills as listed above.
- Adhere to company policies, standards and safety guidelines.
- Able to work with client, company owner, and other employees as a team.
- Able to manage design team to perform all duties as listed above.
This position reports directly to General Manager and Owner(s).
back to careers list