A $16M non-profit Rubicon, provides direct services at six locations in Alameda and Contra Costa counties and operates a growing commercial landscape social enterprise program that is a leader in sustainable practices. Rubicon transforms East Bay communities by equipping people to break the cycle of poverty. Recognized as a national leader in workforce development, Rubicon provides individualized one-on-one career advising, job search support, financial education, wellness, and legal services, to very low-income people who face significant barriers to achieving economic mobility.
Rubicon is a 2022 Great Place to Work on a journey towards becoming a high-road employer and an anti-racist organization. We are committed to systems change and advocacy through efforts like expanding and deepening Employee Resource Groups; the launch of an internal Racial Justice Task Force; and implementation of talent and culture supports that acknowledge and facilitate healing from the direct and indirect effects of racial trauma.
Rubicon actively recruits staff members with a diversity of culture, thought, and lived experiences who are not only highly skilled, but who consistently demonstrate a commitment to our vision of an East Bay without poverty and are passionate about this work.
Looking for a fulfilling career working outdoors? Rubicon Landscape Group, an enterprise program of Rubicon Programs, Inc., is a full-service landscape maintenance and construction company with commercial, municipal, and government clients. We offer the above industry benefits and have been voted a 2022 Great Place to Work by our employees.
The Rubicon Maintenance Gardener works under the general supervision of the Maintenance Crew Leader, acting as the primary source of labor to perform various tasks related to the maintenance of the landscaped grounds. This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
- Plant flowers and shrubs; grade, seed, and fertilize.
- Remove weeds, debris, and other materials from job sites.
- Manually water lawns, shrubs, ground covers and flowers; make irrigation adjustments.
- Help clean and prepare vehicles for the next service day; inspect equipment before use to ensure proper and
safe operation and report problems to the Crew Leader and/or Supervisor.
- Immediately report unsafe work conditions or practices to the Crew Leader and/or Supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Basic knowledge of landscape maintenance techniques and methods; basic proficiency using hand tools; ability to recognize the signs of basic plant stress; focus on working safely and efficiently.
- Teamwork, interpersonal flexibility, willingness, and ability to receive and act on instructions from supervisors.
- Customer service approach.
- Regular and reliable, on-time attendance.
- Bend and/or kneel up to 10% of the time.
- Lift, reach, carry, push, pull: up to 50 pounds and up to 50% of the time.
- Stand, walk up to 90% of the time.
- Must be able to work outside during all seasons of the year.
STARTING PAY: $20.00/hour
Location: Treasure Island
AS A RUBICON EMPLOYEE, YOU CAN EXPECT:
- A safety-focused, professional workplace.
- Year-round, full-time position.
- Competitive hourly pay, including federal prevailing wage for some assignments.
- Medical HMO/HSA, dental, and vision health plans.
- Paid vacation (0-3 years = 3 weeks (15 days) per year | 3+ years = 4 weeks (20 days) per year)
- Sick leave (12 days/year), and company holidays.
- Employee-sponsored retirement plan.
- Company uniform with free laundering and mending.
- Provided PPE, vehicle, trailer, and equipment.
- Advancement opportunities.
Rubicon requires proof of vaccination for employment.
Rubicon is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of culture, thought and lived experiences. We seek talented, qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, conviction history, uniform service membership/veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical conditions, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression regardless of physical gender, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
Rubicon uses E- Verify to validate the eligibility of our new employees to work legally in the United States.